Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's A Keeper- February

So, I cannot promise how long this will last, but I am going to try to post a recipe a month that is a "keeper" for our family.
February's recipe is one I recently took to our ladies' Bible study potluck, and it got rave reviews. It is an attempt at On the Border's Chicken Tortilla Soup with a few modifications based on things I like! Hope you enjoy!!!
I am sure there are a lot of modifications that you could make based on what you have on hand or family preferences, but I just noted exactly what I used.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 large chicken breasts
14 cups water
2 tsp salt
5 chicken bouillon cubes
1 bag of boil in bag brown rice
10 oz can rotel
1 cup salsa
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
8 oz frozen corn (1/2 bag)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
½ onion chopped
1 zucchini squash, sliced thin and quartered

8 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
Crumbled tortilla chips

Boil Chicken in 8 cups water with salt and 2 bouillon cubes for one hour. Meanwhile, boil the rice according to the directions and do any necessary chopping, rinsing, etc. Remove cooked chicken from water and cut or tear into bite sized pieces; return to broth with remaining ingredients including 6 additional cups water and 3 bouillon cubes. Simmer for one hour. Top with cheese and tortilla chips and serve.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Great idea, Ang! Because you know I need all the help I can get when it comes to cooking. :)

The Campbell Family said...

On the Border has one of my favorite Chicken Tortilla soups, so I am glad you have a recipe to try to re-create it. I will definitely have to give this a try! :)

Donald and Angela said...

OK - blast from the past here - I navigated to your blog from Sarah Whitings - hope you and Justin are doing well! Your two girls are just beautiful. Elaine is about a month older than our little lady, Abi. It was fun to catch up on your life - we're living in Dallas (white rock lake area) - it's always great to see what good ol' ags live in the area!

Take care,
Donald & Angela (Zamzow) Wallace