Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's A Keeper June (x 2)

This recipe comes from the Highlights High 5 magazine. If you are not a subscriber and you have a preschooler- I would HIGHLY recommend it as a Christmas present, maybe from grandma... Nana gave it to Elizabeth for Christmas, and it is so great! She thinks it is so cool to get her own magazine in the mail, and the content is excellent. There is always something fun that is recommends. Elizabeth has gotten pretty good at following a recipe thanks to High 5. Our most recent adventure was Sweet Smelling Play Dough!

Play Dough

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 pkt unsweetened koolaid
2 T vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 t cream of tartar

Child:
Mix together 2 cups of water, the drink mix and 2 T vegetable oil.
In a 4 qt pot, mix together 2 cups flower, 1 cup salt, and 4 t cream of tartar. Slowly add the liquid to the pot and stir.
Adult:
Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove the dough from the pot to cool. (I put mine in the refrigerator.)
Store in a ziplock bag.
- It makes A TON! Great for a play date to send some home with a friend.
-Or, for a really stormy night... that is when we made ours and had so much fun!

The second recipe is from my friend Christine. When I got married, Christine gave me one of the best gifts, a recipe book filled with her tried and true favorites! I recently made dinner for my friend Jen who had a baby and needed an easy dessert to make to go with it, and decided on Goodie Bars. Jen really liked them, and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed them myself:)

Goodie Bars

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg

4 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter in a 9X13 dish in preheating oven. Pour melted butter into large mixing bowl, leaving dish "greased". Combine cake mix, 1 egg, and melted butter. Stir well and pat mix into the dish. Separately, on low speed, mix powdered sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, and 2 eggs. Pour over base. Bake one hour or until golden brown. (I pulled mine about 10 minutes early.)

Happy baking!

1 comment:

The Campbell Family said...

Yummy! We will definitely have to try the goodie bars! :) I love all the recipes you share.